Sunday, March 8, 2009

Student Loan Debt Grows

by David E. Bonvie

I became a father for the first time earlier this year which was the best moment of my life. Every decision I now make is with Barrett (featured to the right) in mind, which includes going back to school. I’m currently enrolled in classes with the aim of bettering myself, providing a better life for my family, and becoming a more well rounded person. I want to add to our countries GDP numbers. The only problem is my loan volume from school is now skyrocketing upward like a five star Sarah Palin wardrobe.

Did you know the average college graduate carries more than $20,000 in debt? That is a 6% increase year over year. When you combine that with starting salaries for recent grads, which only rose by 3% over that same time period according to the Project on Student Debt, it’s even harder for students to repay those sizeable loans. Of course many students have been unable to land jobs at all and have been forced to place their loans into forbearance where more interest will accrue inflating that total payback number.

It’s really an interesting dichotomy. Go to school and be in debt thousands vs. entering the work force right away with no debt at all. They both have pros and cons but the long term benefits and typical salaries for those with an education will far surpass those without – even when debiting the loan cost from the bottom-line.

To help make those monthly payments more affordable you may want to consider consolidation. Consolidation extends out your loan term and helps minimize your monthly student loan expense. There are also no prepayment penalties so if you have extra money to put toward your loan you can do so at any time.

I know consolidation is going to be in my near future when I graduate. That way I’ll be able to afford my loan payment each month and still buy that new bike for Barrett!

No comments:

Post a Comment